Sunday, March 21, 2010

Swine flu

I had taken all the precautions! What went wrong? Yes, I was always an easy target for the common cold virus but couldn't they have chosen a better time to infect me?! Yes, I got a cold and boy was I dreading every minute of it. I close my eyes and try to convince the rusty wheels in my head to work. I look at the clock. It's 7:30. Damn it! I have no time left to think! I run to the bathroom, try to unclog my nose and throat to the best of my ability, hug my mom and make sure she knows that I love her (who knows if I'll ever be able to meet her again), take a final glance at my home and set out to do the impossible.I'm at the station. So far so good. I haven't coughed or sneezed till now. The sun is blazing. A single drop of sweat trickles down my cheek. I hear the train. My heart beat quickens. I look at my left hand. I find the colorful handkerchief carefully placed. I look at my right hand. I find the razor reflecting of small flicks of light telling me its ready to face any Medusa today. Yes.. I'm equipped and ready. The train tries to steady itself. The people ready themselves. I look around. I see a woman positioning herself to enter the compartment. I see a man scratching/groping his crotch while looking at the woman. I see a crow shitting on the man. I smile. The train halts. I hold my breath, stroke my nose and neck as a symbol of love. Help me out today dearies. I enter the compartment.It's the same monotonous rituals I always have. A girl with long, frizzy hair stands in front of me ensuring her frizzy hair enter my nose and mouth. A woman taps on my shoulder, "Andheri?". I move my head left to right. She pushes me and moves forward. While on any other day I would have elbowed the woman who pushed me and made the woman who was standing in front of me bald (and believe me I would have enjoyed that!), I had important things to do today. Khar arrives. Half the train gets empty. Wow, my sensory organs are on my side today. Nothing has happened up till now. Could I really be this lucky. Past experiences say no. Maybe today is a new day. This might be a sign. I should start being an optimist. Maybe I am one of the lucky few. Maybe I a... oh oh! The bouquet of frizzy hair in front of me are tickling my nose. No get away! Let me bask in my glory! Let m... AAHAAHAAHCHOOOOO!!!!Terror.... blood chilling terror. All I see is red. I close my eyes. Do I dare... do I dare look up. I dare. A million little retinas are focused on me. I feel the glares. I'm burning. They are burning me. I feel the holes starting to appear on my body. I feel like a vampire standing in the middle of a desert at 12:00 p.m.. I am melting. My hands turn into fists. I feel the soft velvety handkerchief and the sharp blade. The sharp blade.. the sharp blade... THE SHARP BLADE! I have a weapon. Come whosoever dares to confront me. I grin. The glares reduce in succession. They know I'll do it. I grin. My station has arrived. I jump. I run. I laugh.One week later:Ah! My nose and throat are completely unclogged. I can smell the disgusting odors again. I can sing again! The sun blazes it's blessings down on us. A single drop of sweat trickles down my cheek. I hear the train. The train tries to steady itself. The people ready themselves. I look around. I see a woman positioning herself to enter the compartment. I see a man scratching/groping his crotch while looking at the woman. I see the woman slapping the man. I smile.I enter the compartment. Monotony. A girl is standing next to me. She sneezes. I glare.

No comments: